Well it's only taken 33 years but finally, I have given blood!
About 4 months ago I decided everyone should give blood. So I sent an email to everyone at work to give them details of the next chance to give blood at our local Leisure centre in Erskine.
Not really thinking about giving myself, I just wanted others to get into the habit. There were only 5 of us that went in the big blue mini bus of power, but it was 5 more than would have gone had I not organised it. So I am feeling good.
I have never had a blood test so I didn't really know what to expect. As we arrived, cries of, we aren't doing this in a bus are we, came from the back seat. There were 3 donor vans outside. Luckily we weren't giving blood in a bus, but a sports hall.
The session started at 2pm, we arrived about 2.15pm and there were already about 20 people waiting to be seen. I hadn't expected it to be so full, as well as all the people queuing, the 12 or so beds were full. We waited for about 10 minutes before we were seen by a nurse. A form was to be filled in confirming that I have never been paid for sex and then a haemoglobin test. Oddly this was more painful than giving blood!
I, at first, had a test level of 124 which was below the required figure. The second squeeze of blood proved high enough and away I went to lie down for 15 mins while my blood was drained!
I think I got the most 'dissatisfied with the job' nurse which wasn't ideal for a first timer. Not only did she not try and reduce my fear levels she chucked the clip board onto my legs, which was unprofessional to say the least, what if i had a gammy leg?!
A proper, dark blue attired sister put the needle in my arm, first time, thank god. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but by no means would it put me off going again. I wiggled my fingers around for a while and tried to be very still as I didn't want to disturb the needle. My colleagues did fine, not a fainter amongst. One of the group was unable to give blood as she had some bruising on her arm from a recent blood test.
Nurse dissatisfied unplugged me and sent me straight into the arms of juice and chocolate. A fine reward for my good deed I felt. I was good and didn't scoff any of the chocolate. My colleague made up for it with 2 tunnocks teacakes and a taxi bar!
I am quite intrigued to find out what blood type I am on my next visit. I get a pin with my group on it which I am irrationally excited about. Almost as excited as I am when I get to wave at a passing biker or fellow motor homer!
Happy Giving Blood to everyone. If you haven't already, give it a go. You may save a life.
You are a fabulous citizen and all round good egg! I've given blood a few times and the glow of a virtuous act takes ages to burn off! And well done you for getting several others to donate too, you made a real difference : )
ReplyDelete