Saturday, 30 April 2011

The old man and woman of Dumbarton...

...Visit the Old Man of Storr


David and I visited Skye about 6 years ago in Rose and Harry's motor home. Well, David said we were on Skye. The rainfall prohibited me from seeing about 10 feet in from of the motor home. Ever since I have had somewhat negative feelings towards the Isle of Skye. They changed this week, eventually


My initial review when we reached Skye on Monday was,  Lumpy, Tatty and Beige. This set of words will live with David and I for many years! I think David considered ejecting me from the car.

As we came over the very steep bridge from the Kyle of Lochalsh we entered the town of Kyleakin, stopped off for some mugs and headed north. As we moved up the island the landscape became the brown uninspiring picture I had in my mind from 6 years ago. Feeling a little disappointed we trundled towards the Campsite in Portree. This is where lumpy, tatty and beige came is, after David asked had my opinion changed, not yet! David and I differ on what constitutes as picturesque. I love the rolling hills and lush green fields that go on for miles. David loves the drama of rugged moors and overbearing mountains that make you feel insignificant in the world. So you can understand why brown heather for mile after mile wasn't my idea of inspiring.

The scenery did start to change as we got closer, more dramatic and lush. Skye could be about 20 different places at once. It has mountains, lakes, rivers, harbours, moors, dramatic cliffs, quaint towns and beaches all conveniently packaged on one island. Oh! a good chippy too. The main town of Portree is small but has all the amenities required... good pubs.

Suitably happy that the weather was nice, I had plenty of rum and a belly full of chips we were ready for the next days climb. What I wasn't prepared for the the cold induced coma David was only a matter of hours away from. Despite the lovely warm temperature outside it got a lot colder than expected in the night. Our 13.5 tog duck down duvet simply wasn't cutting it. Well for David. I can confirm the lilo effort I was sleeping on was simply annoying and preventedsleep rather than helping it. When David returned from a trip to toilet in the night I fear he may have actually been hypothermic. So...after a clip round the ear for waking me I went back to sleep!

Slightly crippled and tired we got breakfast on day two and headed around the north east part of the island. The scenery was breathtaking as was the weather. This was also the day that David rescued a young lamb from the jaws of certain death, he is now referred to by all on Skye as the lamb whisperer. When interviewed for the local paper later in the day he was quoted as saying ' I knew that the lambs life depended on me and just got on with it. I didn't have time to think, I just reacted. I wasn't looking for recognition but a new Ducati would be nice.'

We climbed the old man of storr in the afternoon. The great thing about this climb is that the surroundings are beautiful straight away. We walked through the woods which was lovely and bug free, then, up through the boulders to the top. The view really was amazing.

On day three we scooted around the island and down to a fishing village called Elgol. Again very picturesque. Not so keen on the very steep hill, but worth a visit.

Unfortunately due to David's slow processing of photos, I do not have any to attach at present. But am assured they will be ready this side of the millennium.

Happy Camping

1 comment:

  1. Yay! What a fabulous description, I really felt like I was there with you : ) Sounds like a fab trip despite the freezing night time temps! I am struggling with an image of David as the lamb whisperer, the lamb eaterer perhaps....I'm sure that when I see the story covered on the national news (perhaps international?) it will all become clear.

    Keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete